The advisory program’s curriculum has three key goals:
1) To help faculty know the students and their needs well;
2) To help students know themselves well, especially their learning styles and their goals;
3) To build community among students and staff.
Each Gateway High School student is matched with the same faculty advisor for all four years of high school. The advisor serves as a ‘go to’ person for each student and his/her family, ensuring that they are known well and that authentic relationships are built. All students are part of an advisory group, comprised of 14-18 students from various grade levels, that meets together two times per week to build community and provide both academic and personal support.
In addition to being part of a small advisory group, each student is a part of an advisory house, which is a community of 8-9 advisory groups (or 115-125 students) together. The house system, comprising of four advisory houses, was created to:
- Foster school community through house events, traditions and competitions;
- Provide a smaller community in which students and advisors can help to shape school culture and a house identity;
- Support and reinforce Gateway's mission and values by recognizing students within each house.
Students, please click here to be directed to the Advisory Announcements page
Current GHS House points