Gateway High School's academic program provides each student with a rigorous and broad college preparatory education. Every student at Gateway takes a course load that exceeds requirements for admission to the UC and CSU systems as well as private colleges and universities across the nation. All academic courses at Gateway are standards-based, incorporating California State Standards as well as Gateway’s particular emphasis on process of learning, commitment to community, and integrity.
Staying true to our mission of measuring success one student at a time, we make sure that all of our students have the support they need to meet the challenges of our curriculum. Gateway focuses on ensuring students understand their unique learning style and, during their time at Gateway, improve their process of learning. Our unique seven period block schedule, in which each class meets three times per week (twice in an extended block and once for a more traditional 45-minute block), allows extended time both for students who need more help on a difficult concept and for those who are ready to delve deeper into a particular subject. Faculty members guide students to master skills, to acquire knowledge, and to think critically, creatively, and independently.
- All students take a rigorous course load that exceeds admission requirements for public and private universities across the nation.
- All subjects at Gateway have AP and honors course options.
- All Gateway students participate in Project Week, an intersession between 1st and 2nd semesters, where they study one topic in depth for 6 days.
- All Gateway students take two full years of the arts in order to have a well-rounded education.
- All students are matched with one faculty advisor for all four years at Gateway.
- 91% of Gateway alumni report they felt prepared or very prepared for the rigor of college.